by Vincent Davis on July 9, 2013

Nuisance or Illegal Use

A landlord may serve a 3-day notice to quit on a tenant who is permitting a nuisance (including the sale of illegal substances or unlawful sale or possession of illegal weapons) on the premises, or who uses the premises for any illegal purpose. See CCP §1161(4). This is considered an incurable breach, and the landlord is entitled to file a UD action on the expiration of the 3-day period if the tenant has not vacated.
[Nuisance Defined]
A “nuisance” is defined as an act that is injurious to health, including, but not limited to, the illegal sale of controlled substances, or is indecent or offensive to the senses or that obstructs the free use of property so as to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property. See CC §3479.
[Nuisance: Firearms]
A nuisance includes the illegal use, manufacture, causing to be manufactured, importation, possession, possession for sale, sale, furnishing, or giving away of any of the following (CCP §1161(4); CC §3485(c)):
• A firearm, as defined in Pen C §12001(b).
• Any ammunition, as defined in Pen C §12316(b)(2) or Pen C §12323(a), (b).
• Any assault weapon, as defined in Pen C §12276, §12276.1, or §12276.5.
• Any .50 BMG rifle, as defined in Pen C §12278.
• Any tear gas weapon, as defined in Pen C §12402.

[Nuisance: Controlled Substances]

A nuisance also includes committing an offense involving the manufacture, cultivation, importation into the state, transportation, possession, possession for sale, sale, furnishing, administering, or giving away, or providing a place to use or fortification of a place involving controlled substances. CCP §1161(4); CC §3486(c). It is also a nuisance to use any building or property to willfully conduct dogfighting or cockfighting. CCP §1164(4); CC §3482.8.

Please call our California Tenant's Rights Law Office at (888) 506-6810
OFFICE HOURS: Monday - Friday 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.
TELEPHONE HOURS: We attempt to connect you with an Attorney up to 10 PM ~ 7 Days a Week!

Law Offices of Vincent W. Davis

"You may not own it   —   But it’s still YOUR HOME"

Contact Page & Map to Office

Serving Los Angeles County, Orange County and all of Southern California

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (626) 446-6442
Fax: (626)-446-6454

Beverly Hills Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310)-880-5733

La Mirada Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: 888-888-6542

Los Angeles Office
Gas Company Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (213)-400-4132

Long Beach Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802

Irvine Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (949)-203-3971
Fax: (949)-203-3972

Ontario Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761

Riverside Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 Pierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (909)-996-5644

San Diego
Emerald Plaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (619)-885-2070

Aliso Viejo
Ladera Corporate Terrace
999 Corporate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (714) 721-3822

Previous post:

Next post: